Status update

Seeing as I haven’t posted for a while I figured it would be wise to provide a status update on how Dlayer development is going and what I have been doing for nearly four months

I got married at the start of September, so far so well. We went on honeymoon a few weeks later, med cruise in case you are interested, that takes us to mid October, 6 weeks left to account for. The remaining part of October was very quiet, I spent a couple of weeks looking for a new contract and also acclimatising myself to married life. November was business as normal, I just didn’t reach a point at which there was anything to write about.

Dlayer

If you read through my blog it wouldn’t surprise me if you said you were confused with where I am with the development of Dlayer, how have we gone from Milestone 11 to Phase 7?

As of today I am almost complete with Phase 7. In April, 2011, I reviewed the progress of Dlayer with Dan my project manager/tester etc. The consensus was that we needed to split the app, Dlayer was becoming far too complicated to complete within a reasonable time period with such a small team.

We decided to break Dlayer up into two apps, a designer and the main app, Dlayer. Dlayer is the full version of Dlayer, it is what I envisioned years ago, Dlayer designer is a more realistic limited app which is primarily aimed at showing what we want to do with Dlayer. Don’t take from this that the Designer is just a demo or preview, it is going to be a complete app in its own right.

Still Phase 7?

In August I posted that Phase 7 was almost complete, why then am I still not finished? The answer to this quite simply I’m a developer, I can’t help but to keep improving things.

The real reason is a little more complicated. One of my major goals for Dlayer was that it would be incredibly easy for developers to extend by adding new design/content tools. Whilst finishing Phase 7 I reviewed my code and decided that I wasn’t happy with the way some of the tools were created, too much code for central tools was part of the main app, it wasn’t in separate modules.

I decided to rebuild all the tools making them slightly more modular, each one isn’t far off being a complete package, the more important point is that they are all built in exactly the same manor. The current tools are all first party tools, as such they aren’t completely modular because they don’t need to be, you can’t use Dlayer without them but the core principle I have used to create them can be extended to allow the creation of tool modules.