Technical debt can be a problem for any project and being an alpha level project Dlayer has a large amount of what Fowler describes as prudent-inadvertent debt.
Each of the Dlayer designers share the same base code, I started the development of Dlayer with the Template designer, moved onto the Form builder and then onto the Content manager, in moving from one designer to another I had to modify the base design each time, the largest changes being made when I developed the Content manager. With the benefit of hindsight I’ve been able to see how I should have developed the original base system, the Bootstrap update enabled me to make all the changes required to create a far more solid base than I had in July.
With this release I haven’t removed all my technical debt, as above Dlayer is an alpha level project, sections are always going to need to be reworked, I am however much more confident with the design I have now as well as the fact that the base system now spans five designers rather than three.
I’ve uploaded another class to the documentation section, this time just a little class that makes creating HTML tables nice and simple, not that it is currently difficult.
Have a look here.
I have finally published my first tutorial, a few days later then planned. I had originally intended on creating a page in WordPress for the tutorial but decided that it would make more sense to create a dynamic system so I can easily create more tutorials.
The first tutorial explains how to use my XML form builder, it creates a form with a couple of elements, one of which includes an email validation rule, over time I will add additional form tutorials.
I have also published the unique validation class and added the XML form processor, there wasn’t a lot of point showing the form processor before I had written the tutorial.
For now the tutorials are going to sit at the bottom of the documentation page, once I have added a few more I will create a new section for them.
I’ve a new contract starting next week so I am not sure how much time I am going to have to update my blog, you can bet that if I have any spare time I will be working on one of projects and if so will report here.
Some time over the next couple of days I am hoping to publish an update to my XML form builder.
The update will include the XML form processor and also an example page showing how it is supposed to be used within the framework, the current docs show individual usage.
I have also just finished creating a ‘unique field’ rule, this checks against a specific field in a table to see if the value is unique. As per the rest of the rules this rule is run automatically by the processor, there is no need to write any validation code.
I have added my radio and checkbox input classes to the documentation section.
I have a few other tasks to complete first but when I am done with them I will alter my XML form builder to add support for auto generating both radio buttons and checkboxes.
The examples for each of the form inputs shows how to use each as an individual entity. Over the next week or so I am working to add an examples section, this will show how the classes are intended to be used, XML form builder for forms and my jobs classes for emails.