I’ve just released Dlayer v0.99-alpha-3 on GitHub, this one is quite a big update, it adds the Text tool, Heading tool, Jumbotron tool, import form and import image tools, the ability to move rows, content items and columns and features the updated image picker.
I’ve done lots of refactoring in the background and still have quite a bit of old Content manager code to get sort out/get rid off but I am getting closer, the release of v0.99 won’t be far behind, there are only four stories I need to complete, 2 optional stories and whatever I choose to finish from the icebox.
It isn’t yet up at https://demo.dlayer.com, I will release it tomorrow evening.
After reviewing my project planner (Pivotal Tracker) it looks like I could be ready to release v0.99 of Dlayer just before mid-September, originally it was planned for the end of August but I have been unusually social during the last two weeks.
I’m starting to get nervous about the v1.00 release, I’ve been working on this app for years, releasing a demo of the beta is one thing, officially releasing the project on GitHub is a another thing entirely, you can’t hide, your code is there for anyone to see.
A large part of v0.99 is fixing issues I would have liked to fix a long time ago, I won’t be done by v1.00 but the Content manager will be in a very good state and should be seen as the yard stick for the rest of the app.
Versions of the app have feature wise almost been on par with where v0.99 will be, up until this point though I’ve never had the app as polished as it now and will be at v1.00 and beyond. There is a long way to go once I release the v1.00 beta before Dlayer becomes a useable product and an even longer journey until the app I envisioned in 2008 is complete. I’m hoping though that with all the work I’ve done in preparing for the Open Source release since August continued development will be much easier than it has been at times in the past, it is very exciting knowing that Dlayer will soon be moving forward again.
There is a lot of work to do, sometimes a scary amount, for the v1.00 release which I will detail later, looking at my project planner there is hope, if I maintain the momentum I have over the last ten weeks it is possible I may be able to release v1.00 in November.
Work on v0.99 of Dlayer is progressing well, today I released v0.99-alpha-1 which is one of what will probably by three interim releases before v0.99. Today’s release contains the majority of the new base code and refactoring, the rest of the work will be reworking the old tool/view code and adding the glue.
The Content manager has been disabled again, it should be back in the next release. I’m currently working on getting imported Forms to display again, after that I will work on the selectors, that is the only unknown at the moment, I’m not sure how much work I will have to do after changing the selectors from content area -> row -> item to the new row/column system.
On the 25th April 2016 I released v0.98 of Dlayer, the original intention was that I would release v1.00 and Dlayer would begin its life as an Open Source project. I realised a couple of weeks ago I couldn’t do that and decided to delay things slightly, the v1.00 release is not far away, hence the current release being v0.98.
v1.00? When I make the v1.00 release of Dlayer it will not be a finished or even usable product, I decided that bumping Dlayer to v1.00 makes sense to me with it moving from being a private project to an Open Source project. Ideally v1.00 should be a functional release but in this case I hope you can and will understand why v1.00 isn’t a functional release.
I intend to add full support for Bootstrap’s grid system, to do this I need a solid foundation to build upon. When I made the switch to Bootstrap I tried to reuse as much of my original logic as possible, although I ended up with something that worked it needs much more development, I need to add support for columns and remove what Dlayer currently calls content containers.
When I release v0.99 most of the foundation changes will have been done and the Content manager will have gained an additional tool, create columns, v1.00 will feature the new improved Template designer, after that development can continue.
This is a cross post from my blog, once Dlayer has been officially released as an Open Source project this site will detail all new releases, as before.
As of the 10th August Dlayer is now an Open Source project, I’ve been thinking through my options for a long time and it just made sense, below is an extract from the new Dlayer website with my two core reasons.
Development began in 2008, up until August 2015 Dlayer was a closed project that I worked on single handled, I took the decision to Open Source Dlayer for the reasons listed below:
I want Dlayer to succeed, to do that it needs to be out there, an app that never ships is no good to anyone.
I want to build up a community around Dlayer and now that I have a solid base in place I can let the community have a say in where the app goes next, I obviously have my own plans but would love to hear from others.
I’m still in the early stages of officially releasing Dlayer as an Open Source project, Dlayer was both an app and a website, I need to separate the two, I’m almost there with the new web site, once that is ready I can start on stripping the redundant parts out of Dlayer.