v0.99 progressing well

Work on v0.99 of Dlayer is progressing well, today I released v0.99-alpha-1 which is one of what will probably by three interim releases before v0.99. Today’s release contains the majority of the new base code and refactoring, the rest of the work will be reworking the old tool/view code and adding the glue.

The Content manager has been disabled again, it should be back in the next release. I’m currently working on getting imported Forms to display again, after that I will work on the selectors, that is the only unknown at the moment, I’m not sure how much work I will have to do after changing the selectors from content area -> row -> item to the new row/column system.

Delayed v1.00 release of Dlayer

On the 25th April 2016 I released v0.98 of Dlayer, the original intention was that I would release v1.00 and Dlayer would begin its life as an Open Source project. I realised a couple of weeks ago I couldn’t do that and decided to delay things slightly, the v1.00 release is not far away, hence the current release being v0.98.

v1.00? When I make the v1.00 release of Dlayer it will not be a finished or even usable product, I decided that bumping Dlayer to v1.00 makes sense to me with it moving from being a private project to an Open Source project. Ideally v1.00 should be a functional release but in this case I hope you can and will understand why v1.00 isn’t a functional release.

I intend to add full support for Bootstrap’s grid system, to do this I need a solid foundation to build upon. When I made the switch to Bootstrap I tried to reuse as much of my original logic as possible, although I ended up with something that worked it needs much more development, I need to add support for columns and remove what Dlayer currently calls content containers.

When I release v0.99 most of the foundation changes will have been done and the Content manager will have gained an additional tool, create columns, v1.00 will feature the new improved Template designer, after that development can continue.

Very minor delay

Adding content row support to the Content manager is proving a little more complicated than intended, there are several quite complex view helpers that generate the web page view, to add row support I need to efficiently inject something before the view helper calls and the template output.

I’ve got the design sorted on paper but it will take a few days to put in place, whilst I’m jumping in and out of the view helpers that build the web page and the models for the content item data I’m going to tick off a few refactoring tasks that have been bugging me.

In the mean time I have started releasing the high level specification for Dlayer, you can read it here on this site, it will catch up with the alpha over the next couple of months and then either match it or be slightly ahead as I release new features.

Current development branch tasks

I wanted to write an update to my ‘Backward to go forward‘ post, specifically what is required for Release 0.54. The majority of the changes will be in the Content manager, I need to simply the Template designer to create the simplest page template with which to use in the Content manager.

  • Remove all but the split horizontal tool from the Template designer, for now blocking out a heading, content area and footer is enough to enable me to work on the Content manager changes. (Done)
  • Add a tool and visual notification to the Template designer to allow the height of a container to be set as either fixed height or dynamic height, by default all containers have a dynamic height in the Content manager, they are only fixed in the Template designer to allow the user to select the container.
  • Content checks in the Template designer now need to check for the existence of content container row rather than content items themselves. (In progress)
  • The Template designer needs to provide a visual notification if a dependant content page has content in a content container block.
  • Disable the modifier system, until the system evolves further the problem previously solved by the current modifiers no longer exists, the modifier system will return later. (Done)
  • Add row support to the Content manager, a user will add rows to a content container into which they then add content items. (In progress)
  • Update content items to support setting their widths as twelfths of rows.
  • Create a helper to monitor the number of columns in each row, should not be more than 12.

I’m hoping to have Release 0.54 out within around a week.